Sunday, March 2, 2008

Never a good sign

It's never a good sign when you start naming your livestock. Over the years I have bought sheep from many different people. I have found that the sheep that are treated like pets are the worst ones to buy for doggin'. They run to the fence when you come home expecting you to come over and pet them and when you use them to work the dogs with they are totally dejected like their feelings are hurt. These are usually the same people that name their sheep. Well without further a do may I introduce Dopey (the sheep formally known as Droopy).

(picture taken before medical intervention)

As you can see Dopey has a little mouth issue. She and I have gotten to know each other very well the last week. Me trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with her. I have asked around to all my sheep savvy friends about what this is and have gotten many different diagnose. So each time Isla and I truck out to the field to do some sheep catchin'. I tackle poor Dopey and fish through her mouth. So finally I have put her on a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory. Today is day three and I think she is feeling better. She is spending a little more time with the flock instead of standing by herself. After a couple more days of treatment we will see how she is doing. So stay tuned.

No comments: