Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mid week update

How proud am I that I have stuck to the plan so far. On Tuesday I almost had to abort the plan. The weather has been so warm here all the snow is melting and my outdoor arena is under water and ice. To dangerous to work dogs in. I decided to throw caution to the wind and work the pups in the field. They have a fairly good call off and most of the time a stop. I made Jerry and Jed stay as back up dancers in case things went array. Things went surprisingly well. They both listened and we did not need saving. Bracken is really blossoming this week with regular work. She still has lots of crazy inside but is starting to listen better. I think I will need to be careful or she might become wide. Craig is doing well. He is not totally comfortable when in close to the sheep. He usually runs by really fast and the swings out wide to release that pressure. Doesn't look like he will be as wide and Bracken. He also has very little eye. Yesterday was more of the same. However Craig is now pushing through his stops and yesterday he would not come of his sheep. Today he will be wearing a line in case he decided to pull that out in the field. I am about to go out soon and work them for today.

1 comment:

Billy said...

Good work! I'm glad you're getting out there (and able to, with your weather). Keep up the reports...it is fun training pups! I'll bet Craig has more eye than you think, once he gets going...