Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dog training advice from the man


I have been training and trialing my dogs for a while now. And in that time my husband Kyle has come to watch me trial once and only stayed to watch my dog grip. Then he gave me a kiss on the cheek and said "Good job honey, I need to go to work now". In fact some people question if he really exists. He watches me train even less. So it always surprises me when he gives me advice on how I should train.
For example just the other day I asked him to help me wean some of our lambs and move them to another pasture across the yard. So all was going well until we started to move them to the other pasture. I was using Isla and she was being a little over zealous. I would ask her to lie down and she would stay for a second and then keep on pushing. Then the lambs would take off. So kyle says "just get her to lie down and stay there" OH really. Pretty soon there are sheep everywhere with Isla in hot pursuit and me telling her to lie down. I went over and had a little discussion with her. And then Kyle say " I don't think you need to be so hard on her". That one I ignored.
Yesterday kyle was watching me work some of my dogs. When I came in the house he said "I know how you love it when I tell you how to train your dogs" I thought oh great hear it comes. Then he says "I was watching you work Kipp and it seems to me that if you just kept him off the sheep. Things would go better". Wow I should have thought of that.
So I have a plan. I am going to get him out to work a dog and he could see it is not as easy as it seems from his arm chair.

No comments: