Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pete Tong

Pete Tong is an British DJ born in 1960. "Pete Tong" is also a saying the British use when things are going terribly wrong. This is the words I would use to describe my inaugural trip with my new trailer. The trailer arrived a couple of weeks ago.



This weekend was to be the first rip for the trailer. I planned on Staying at my friend Randy's. That way close to town and if things needed to be fixed than we could run and get supplies. I was all packed up and ready to go. Hooked up the trailer and I had no brakes. Turns there never was any brakes on the trailer. Funny it came all the way from Missouri with no brakes. The wires were just hanging there. Fortunately my husband is fairly handy. He wired up the brakes and wanted to take it for a road test. When this happened




He cut the corner to short and got the trailer stuck in the ditch. After uploading these pictures and looking at them it doesn't look as bad as it was. The trailer was siting on its side wall. we couldn't move forward or backward. It took an hour to get it out of the ditch. Jacking it up and putting boards under the tires and the pulling forward and doing it over again.
After all this I was very nervous pulling the trailer. As long as I didn't have to turn I would be OK. My plan was to get Randy to pull in to his driveway but I actually did it my self. Now I am thinking about all my trips this summer hoping I can actually turn in where they are. I am a creature of habit and don't do well with change. It is going to take me a while to get used to driving this new trailer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nobody likes a shiny penny . . .better to scuff it on the first outing then to wait a year.

gvmama said...

Pretty fancy rig. I expect it will take some getting used to...
Glad it was the hubby that put it in a ditch :0)

Rob said...

WOW! Awesome trailer. It will be great once you get used to it.

Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV Center said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have to experience something terrible as this during your supposed-to-be-first trip with this trailer. Well, this serves as an important lesson to everyone. Whatever vehicle you will be using on your road trip, you have to make sure that it's all in great condition. You have to check every part of it because a single battered part can bring danger to you and your family.